In partnership with Lowland Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association (RFCA), Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Lanarkshire, Lady Haughey CBE, is leading Lanarkshire’s efforts to mark The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee by planting Platinum Jubilee Wood at Dechmont Training Range.
2,700 native trees are being planted over three acres at Dechmont to create Platinum Jubilee Wood. The wood will be Lanarkshire’s enduring legacy in honour of The Queen’s 70-year reign.
As part of the Queen’s Green Canopy, community groups are strongly encouraged to ‘Plant a Tree for the Jubilee.’ But where community groups do not have access to suitable local land, then trees will be planted at Dechmont for them.
Lowland RFCA is thrilled that Dechmont will be the home of Platinum Jubilee Wood. Dechmont is a military training ground, managed on behalf of the Ministry of Defence, by Lowland RFCA.
Planting and partnering organisations include:
- HMS DALRIADA
- 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force
- 6th Bn Royal Regiment of Scotland
- 207 (City of Glasgow) Battery Royal Artillery
- 32 Signal Regiment
- 4th Bn Parachute Regiment
- 221 Squadron Royal Logistic Corps
- 205 (Scottish) Field Hospital
- 153 Recovery Company REME
- Glasgow and Strathclyde Universities Officers Training Corps
- 144 Parachute Medical Squadron
- Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde Air Squadron
- The Airdrie and Coatbridge Branch of the RAF Association
- Clyde Region of The Scouts
- The Lanarkshire Branch of the Retired Police Officers’ Association
- Uddingston Pride
- Dalziel High School War Memorial Trust
- East Kilbride Sea Cadets
- Glasgow and Lanarkshire Batallion Army Cadet Force
- 2412 East Kilbride Squadron Air Cadets
- 449 Squadron Air Cadets
Photograph Credit: Jacob King/PA Wire/PA Images
Sea and Air Cadets take part in the planting process at Platinum Jubilee Wood.